Re: Keith Smith sewings

>The second volume of Ketih Smith's books is devoted to 1-2-and 3 section
>sewings.  In the illustrations the holes for each section are quite far
>apart, which makes the design of the stitches very obvious.  But it seems
>to me that in real life you can't make the rows of stitches that far
>apart unless you want a very pie shaped book.  I tried one with 12 sheets
>in each section.  It did spread the pattern but it was hard to sew and
>was too bulky to really fold right.  Does anyone have any tricks or
>thoughts on this?
>
>Joyce Jenkins
>Petersburg Public Library
>Alaska

Joyce, I worked with Keith Smith in a class at Penland in June 1995, just
before the book you mention came out, and we did quite a few of the
stitches from it. These bindings are meant to be very decorative and
embroidery-like, and yes, the books can end up being very pie-shaped. Most
of the samples I've made since that class use holes that are about 1/4"
apart; you usually need that much space to get the full effect of the
stitch patterns, but I've used 3/16" as well.
        Since they are not meant to be traditional bindings, you could
always try varying the page width of the section (i.e.,the inside page
might be half what the outside page is), or use a heavy cover that folds
in, of squares-off at the foredge, to offset the spine. I think any tricks
will entail creativity and freedom from the idea of traditional book.
        On another note, a couple of things I've tried to stiffen up the
spine have included (1) using a double z-fold at the spine and 2) folding
the spine in between each section. In the class, quite a few people used
leather strips on the spine, etc.
        Let me know if you develop any new tricks!
_Marcia Ciro