E- EXHIBIT CATALOGUE

Time has not permitted preparation of a hard-copy catalogue for the
current exhibit at the Idaho Center for the Book.  It has permitted,
however, the following electronic substitute:

                       IDAHO BY THE BOOK
"Idaho by the Book" is displayed in three small galleries (aka rooms)
in the Hemingway Western Studies Center on the Boise State
University campus, home of the Idaho Center for the Book, our state
affiliate of the Library of Congress Center for the Book.  One enters
the galleries beneath an arch of 186 gold books:  recycled, outdated
textbooks painted gold, drilled through their centers, and beaded on
a horseshoe of steel rebar which has been precariously tipped upright
and tilted against the doubledoor entryway--threatening all visitors,
as well as our OSHA Bill of Health.

The first gallery contains 25 state literary maps, maps produced by
other state centers for the book, state affiliates of the National
Council of Teachers of English, and individual entrepreneurs.
These maps are presented alphabetically, from Arkansas to
Wyoming.  Below each map is brief analysis of the cartographic
approach utilized by the mapmakers, as well as general commentary
about notable features, successes, failures, etc.  Display cases in
this room feature volumes by authors on the maps.

Another gallery features a dozen tetratetraflexagons, the magical
structure you will hear more of, momentarily,  There are artists'
books (by Ed Hutchins, Susan King, Enver Sulejman, and others),
business promotional pieces, architectural models, zines, etc.  This
gallery also includes seven maps showing Idaho's "flexible"
geography, prior to statehood, from 1843-1890, and the story of the
discovery of the flexagons by an English graduate student (in Math)
at Princeton in 1939.

The center gallery houses "Idaho by the Book," the world's
first tetratetraflexagon map, yea literary map.  "IBTB" is a joint
publication of the Idaho Center for the Book and the Idaho Council
of Teachers of English.

The tetra structure allows readers to "flex" the map to create, in
fact, three maps:  Pioneer Idaho, Statehood Idaho, Contemporary
Idaho.  These additional surfaces allow us to present much more than
other state literary maps:  we present biblio culture.  Authors,
printers, presses, publishers, bookstores, libraries--the firsts in
the state and nation, the notable, ditto.  "From biblio inspiration
to ingestion," as the introduction states.

In fact, the tetratetraflexagon creates four flat surfaces and the
fourth page is our first page wherein we detail criteria for listing
on the map, problems we faced and solved, etc.  We felt a literary
map should explains itself.  No other literary map presents such
information, although clearly other mapmakers faced (some) of the
problems we faced.

One other feature of our map may be worth mentioning:  its attitude.
The tone of our map varies considerably (and delightfully, to our
minds) from other state maps.  Consider our Statehood entry
for one of our more famous authors:

    EZRA POUND (Hailey, 1885-1972)  Poetry.
    Idaho is clearly the wellspring of Pound's genius,
    for the poet was born in Hailey; however, because
    he left the state at an early age, other locations
    must take credit for his anti-Semitism.

This third gallery, then, shows all four pages of the map in a center
display case--a large gold platform (aka painted plywood) with
golden legs (painted "Sonna Tubes"--heavy-duty cardboard used
in pouring concrete forms):  Clearly, an altar at which to worship.
Wall displays in this room show early test drives of the map,
attempts which used less-than-satisfactory inks and papers.  Other
samples show the map in various stages of production.
Exhibit is open 9-5 daily, 12-4 weekends through October.

Assisting in presentation of this exhibit were Book Arts students
at Boise State University.  The golden arch was their conception
and they retain all legal rights for criminal liability opportunities
therein.

Tom Trusky, Director
Idaho Center for the Book

"Idaho by the Book" sells for $9.95 + $3 s/h per order (not per map).
 Phone orders:  1.800.992.TEXT (toll-free)
 FAX orders:  208.385.3401
 E-mail:  <<ttrusky@quartz.idbsu.edu>>