Re: Permanence of duplicating paper

Jonathan,

Many thanks for the message.

The majority of the playscripts were produced by means other than Xerox thermal
duplication---I can identify only one or two that have been Xeroxed: they are
now brown and terribly faded, as you mention. Pity: I'm sure there were some
good swear words in the plays that the Lord Chamberlain would have had to
censor.

I fingered [gasp!] quite a few of the Gestetner duplicated playscripts, and
didn't notice that the ink still smudges. But I did notice that a good number of
playscripts had, on the verso, faint, black impressions of the following page.
The black type on the pages was actually quite good---clear, sharp and (mostly)
even.

The paper used for the playscripts was as you state: stock cartridge paper.
Interestingly, the whole collection for 1968 (some 467 playscripts) is in good
condition. May it continue to last ...

Your solution of interleaving acid-free tissue would be useful ... were it not
for the fact that over 25,000 sheets would be needed to preserve the 1968
playscripts alone; for the entire twentieth century, I calculated some 3--4
million sheets of tissue would be needed! Perhaps this indicates that the
archive should be digitised for preservation purposes. <G>

Kind regards,

Iain Brown
100131.3564@compuserve.com