Ye Olde Englishe

Does anyone out there know of any articles/books on early typography, i.e.
as in explaining the reasoning behind the long "esses" (you know what I
mean, the ones that -- sometimes -- look sort-of like "effs"), etc.?

In all my searching, I managed to find but one article ("Typographic Debut"
by Ronald B. McKerrow, found in BOOKS AND PRINTING: A TREASURY FOR
TYPOPHILES, edited by Paul A. Bennett) which puts it all very nicely in a
nutshell, but I'm interested in learning more, although I've been hard
pressed to find anything else, anywhere, *at all*.

Any web sites with information on this would also be enthusiastically
visited, of course.

Ron