Degreasing

Dear Book People

I am sure that among you there are many printmakers who may be in a
position to help me.  I am making drypoints on a number of
untraditional plates and am experiencing problems with wiping the
plate before printing because I am possibly not degreasing them with
the appropriate material.  Would you have any solutions as to how to
degrease x-ray plates?  slides?  aluminium tin can plates?  and
linoleum.  For the lino I have been using neat ammonia which has
worked up to a point, but is kind of unpleasant and dangerous.

Also, I am in the process of running out of my supply of French Chalk
which I have used in the past for degreasing copper and zinc plates,
mixed with ammonia.  What is the technical name for this and would I
be able to get it from a hardware store or something similar.  The
art equipment shops in my vicinity are not exactly comfortable or
knowledgeable about the more obscure printmaking foibles.

Much obliged.

Robyn Sassen
mephisto@global.co.za