Re: Re Tefillin - Department of Etymology

phylakt=E9rion: a guarded post, a fort or castle 2: a safe guard, a
preservative, Dem(otic) amoung the Jews strips of parchment with texts from
the Law written on them. from phulass=F6: to watch, guard, keep or defend.
Liddell & Scott, 1978 pg.874

>One more small thing, and then maybe we've worn this thread too thin... I
>just remembered that the Greek word for tefillin is "phylacteries" - and I
>don't know what *that* means, other than the things themselves, either.

POIHSAI BIBLIA POLLA OUK ESTIN PERASMOS