Re: quality of paper, acid content (fwd)

>Dear Book Art-Lers,
>
>I'd appreciate any answers to the following question.  Please reply to me
>personally and I'll post to the University Press list.
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>        Dee Mortensen
>        Assistant Acquisitions Editor
>        Indiana University Press
>        601 N. Morton Street
>        Bloomington, IN 47404-3797
>        812-855-0268
>        812-855-8507 fax
>        mortense@indiana.edu

>Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 07:58:13 -0600
>From: james williams <jww4@midway.uchicago.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <aaup-l@press-gopher.uchicago.edu>
>Subject: quality of paper, acid content
>
>Don't know much 'bout .... papermaking, so I wonder if someone could answer
>a question raised in my basic manuscript editing class:
>
>Is there a relation between the rag content of paper and the process of
>keeping paper acid free? Is it just as easy (or hard; or expensive) to keep
>a 100 percent rag pulp acid free as it is a newsprint quality paper?
>
>A related question: Does a paper's acid content have anything to do with its
>recyclability?
Paper is basically cellulose.  The easiest source was cotten or linen rags
that was hammered until it was broken down to a fiborous materal suspended
in water; this was (is ) allowed to settle on a screen with the water
draining away, after pressing , drying etc it is a sheet of paper.  During
the last century processes began to be developed to allow wood to be broken
down to it's component celluluse.  The process was finally perfected by a
fellow in nearby Lufkin, Texas.  Very briefly, wood is chipped, cooked with
lye under pressure, processed with acid and the result, depending on the
processing is a very short paper of varing acidity, depending on the
chemistry of the final mixture and buffering that is added in sizing.  This
chemical treatment is necessary to transport the nondesirable saps and
other materials; bleaching makes it white.  Alkaline materials are added to
neutralize the acid.  It should be obvious then that any paper that is made
from rag pulp should be free from the chemicals necessary for reducing
woody material to pulp.  Recycled paper has to be bleached to remove
colored material and to neutralize the final pulp.  I hope this is of some
help, Charlie