Re: quality of paper, acid content (fwd)

 Dear Dee,
  I would suggest to Mr. Jones that he, or you, or someone, contact the
folks at Conservation Resources Int'l.  It is an English firm, but it
has a branch office in Springfield, VA, 800-634-6932.  Ask them for a
copy of their catalog which has an introductory essay on the chemical
structure of papers and their deterioration.  It is the most lucid and
detailed short explanation I know of. It does not discuss rag papers
very much, but it will clarify the situation regarding wood pulp papers.
 Dorothy

Dorothy C. Africa
bookbinder, Harvard Law School Library
africa@hulaw1.harvard.edu