Re: quality of paper, acid content (fwd)

At 08:18 AM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
> Dear Dee,
>  I would suggest to Mr. Jones that he, or you, or someone, contact the
>folks at Conservation Resources Int'l.  It is an English firm, but it
>has a branch office in Springfield, VA, 800-634-6932.  Ask them for a
>copy of their catalog which has an introductory essay on the chemical
>structure of papers and their deterioration.  It is the most lucid and
>detailed short explanation I know of. It does not discuss rag papers
>very much, but it will clarify the situation regarding wood pulp papers.
> Dorothy

The best discussion of commercial paper making that I have seen is Wald en's
Handbook, Third Edition, Walden-Mott Corporation, 225 North Franklin
Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446-1600, Telephone 201-818-8630. It costs about $25,
and in spite of having what must be a world's record for the number of typos
in a book, it is very complete.

A much shorter, but very accurate, discussion is given on pages 162-170 of
the Pocket Pal, A Graphic Arts Production Handbook, 16th edition,
International Paper, 6400 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38197. This book is
routinely prescribed  for every new person in the commercial graphic arts
industry.
Rupert N. Evans
Prairie Publications
101 West Windsor Road, #4107