WANTED: Dry mount press

Dear B. Simon [and anyone interested]:

You wrote [to Book-Arts &/or Letterpress lists]:

>Have I described what is to you a "dry mount" press?" - I heard that they
>were only used in photography in some way, - is that true, and if so, just
>what kind of glue does one use?

Yup. One typically uses adhesive in the form of sheets, placed
between the materials [paper, board, art/photos, fabrics, etc.],
which then melts & adheres the materials when the heat-cum-pressure
of the press is applied. The bond may not be as permanent as other
types, but it ain't too bad, often lasting 20-30-40+ years, depending.

>I thought that this press was for an obsolete technology. If you need one I
>seriously doubt that you would have to pay over $75.00 for a used one, but
>you have to know where to look.

Far from obsolete, seems to me; these things are still being
manufactured and sold, for as much as $1200-1500 and up.
Gee, professionals actually use them routinely to mount stuff!
If you find one cheap and have a use for it, get it!
The main limit/factor is the size of material it can accept.

>I would really appreciate it if you could enlighten me on the use of the
>above described presses. I must have seen twenty of them go at auction at
>various times. It sure would be easy to pick one up.

Yes, they do crop up, and can be cheap, and sometimes are
worth it, unless they're utterly beat to sh*t and don't work right.

*My* interest in such a press is almost purely to use as an
easy way to mount/glue up paper and card stock for making
pages/books, primarily with the steel-wire type of binding.

Of course, one can mount any number of things on any number
of compatible media, and one -- I think -- can control the
heat & pressure used to do so. Not totally clear on that yet...

They can also be used just to flatten/straighten things like
prints, art, sheets of whatever type, esp. if little or no
heat is used and/or monitored carefully.

A certain "dan" questioned the value of using one and another
"cavedog" had mental cringes thinking about dry mounting.
Both seemed to assume that I was about to glue up every priceless
photographic print I could lay hands on... hmmm.
Their recommendations for alternative methods of mounting stuff
are duly noted, and might even be applicable someday to my
uses -- I hope others can benefit from their advice.

As it happens [we call this "support of nature"], a visitor
here from the Land of LA, after being plied with a sumptuous
brunch of my hand-pressed waffles, offered us the use of his press,
which resides unused in a closet or box. So I'm hopeful this
may solve the immediate problem! Success stories to follow...

YITB,
Al

Al Rubottom   /\   alrub@inetworld.net
tel: 619.292.9998 /\ fax: 619.541.2260