Re: Dry mount press

Al Rubottom wrote:

> Dear B. Simon [and anyone interested]:
>
> You wrote [to Book-Arts &/or Letterpress lists]:
>
> >Have I described what is to you a "dry mount" press?" - I heard that they
> >were only used in photography in some way, - is that true, and if so, just
> >what kind of glue does one use?
>
> Yup. One typically uses adhesive in the form of sheets, placed
> between the materials [paper, board, art/photos, fabrics, etc.],
> which then melts & adheres the materials when the heat-cum-pressure
> of the press is applied. The bond may not be as permanent as other
> types, but it ain't too bad, often lasting 20-30-40+ years, depending.
>
> >I thought that this press was for an obsolete technology. If you need one I
> >seriously doubt that you would have to pay over $75.00 for a used one, but
> >you have to know where to look.
>
> Far from obsolete, seems to me; these things are still being
> manufactured and sold, for as much as $1200-1500 and up.
> Gee, professionals actually use them routinely to mount stuff!
> If you find one cheap and have a use for it, get it!
> The main limit/factor is the size of material it can accept.
>
> >I would really appreciate it if you could enlighten me on the use of the
> >above described presses. I must have seen twenty of them go at auction at
> >various times. It sure would be easy to pick one up.
>
> Yes, they do crop up, and can be cheap, and sometimes are
> worth it, unless they're utterly beat to sh*t and don't work right.

Hi!

        Just a few tips from a photographer who's used these things.
1. The older models (pre 1976?) heated hotter than the later ones,
without as reliable a thermostat, which is fine for anything other than
resin coated photos, which virtually all photos are anymore. Those they
melt, badly. The newer ones, with the lower temp's, require the use of
"R.C." mounting tissue to bond, the older ones will bond either type of
dry mount tissue.

2. The Dry Mount glue is NOT what one would consider archival quality!

3. Whichever type you purchase, it is well worth the expense of buying
"heat test strips" which turn color at a pre-defined temperature to
verify you thermostat's actual setting. Never Trust The ThermostaT Dial!

4. The correct order for mounting, from the bottom up, ia a thin piece
of board, smooth, the board you want to mount on, the artwork, the matte
frame, if you have one, a board the same size & thickness as the matte
cutout, for the center, a fairly stiff cover board, and finally another
thin board over it all.

Hope this ism helpful.

Dave