Re: Help...please

> >I am working on a single edition of a book and would like to incorporate
> >candle wax as a "decorative"  element on some of the text pages. Any
> >suggestions on how to to do this without the wax cracking, peeling, etc.
> >would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Try beeswax and try to avoid the cries of the conservators on this list.
> A lurker

Not all conservators are going to cry at you lurker!

Are you trying to gain a decorative translucency for the paper, or do you
want to encrust the paper with wax to make a 3D effect?

If you are going for translucency (is that spelt right?) try using
micro-crystaline wax as a replacement for parraffin wax, it is much more
flexible. To use beeswax and retain flexability, mix 70% beeswax with
30% lanolin in a saucepan on a moderate heat.

If you are going for a 3D effect, you could try about 10% lanolin to 90%
beeswax, that should give you enough flexibility while still allowing you
to produce the 3D effext.

Try applying the wax slowly with a Tjanting tool such as is used for
Batik, it is like a stylus pen for wax and should give you greater
control over application.

This is the conservation bit.....

There is nothing wrong with Beeswax or
Parraffin wax, we use both in conservation treatments, so use them by all
means. Just pity the conservator who might have to conserve it in the
future, and help him out by telling him how you have produced the effect
rather than leave him to guess. If you are binding a book, add an extra
page saying what materials and techniques you have used, what the
symbolism is and means etc etc etc. Not only does it help the
conservator, it assists in the appreciation of the work of art.

Jon Farley