font design

Friends of the Book Arts:
        Recently my interest in typography was piqued when a favorite
former prof of mine presented me with a copy of Moxon: "Mechanics
Exercises" for printing.

        Ever since reading it, more scanning it and absorbing its
contents, I have become fascinated with the art involved in the
production of punches from which matrices are fabricated, justified and
type is cast.  The old style moulds for type-casting intrigue me as does
the old-style (Gutenberg?) frame press, so much so that I am eager to
find out if anyone (such as the Franklin Institute or Smithsonian
Institution) produces a scale model of it.

        Besides that, I am interested now in type design and am eager to
learn if anyone out there knows of a really good program, shareware or
licensed, that will assist a computer-age typographer in developing
fonts?  This I ask because recently I purchased a 1963 edition of
Longyear: "Type and Lettering" and there are several fonts contained in
his work that I have never seen offered in a software package.  What I
would like to do is to find a good program that might allow me to
fabricate a font-set for my own use, based on the illustrations of
Longyear.

        Also if anyone knows of any really good font library packages I
would be interested in them as well.  The "funky" modern font types don't
interest me, although some are interesting to look at; I am most
interested in fonts like Melior, Michelangelo, Libra, Lucien, Grajon,
Columna, Perpetua, University Roman (it looks like a modern
celtic/black-letter hybrid) and Weiss Initials.  If you've never seen
Longyear's works, I'd highly recommend them, and to know of the
aesthetically pleasing texture of these type-faces you'd really have to
see them.

        That said, I hope some out there can help, and please know that I
am now coming full circle in that I would love to learn paper making,
typography, and book binding.  -- I think I'll call myself: "The Compleat
Bibliophile!"

        Thanks!  And I hope everyone out there had a pleasant holiday!

Rommel John Miller                        rjmiller1095@juno.com
12544 Selsey Rd
rjmiller@shore.intercom.net
Ocean City, MD  21842-9128             (410) 213-0082  (voice/fax/data)