[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
CENTER for BOOK ARTS OPEN HOUSE & HOLIDAY SALE
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
- Subject: CENTER for BOOK ARTS OPEN HOUSE & HOLIDAY SALE
- From: Richard Minsky <minsky@PIPELINE.COM>
- Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:14:56 -0500
- Message-Id: <199612051315.FAA14954@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
CENTER for BOOK ARTS
OPEN HOUSE & HOLIDAY SALE
Saturday, December 14th, 1996
11:00 am till 6:00 pm
BEAUTIFUL ONE-OF-A-KIND GIFT ITEMS perfect for holiday gift-giving will be featured
at the Center for Book Arts' Annual Open House & Sale on Saturday, December 14, from 11 am until 6
pm, at 626 Broadway, 5th floor, between Bleecker and Houston Streets in Manhattan. Admission is free
and open to the public.
Items on sale will include handbound and handprinted books, handmade papers, greeting cards,
calendars, date books, marbled papers, diaries, datebooks and photo albums made by working book artists.
The Center will offer visitors a number of gift possibilities including gift memberships, gift certificates for
bookmaking classes at the Center, Book Arts T-shirts and Book Arts work aprons. Delicious holiday
refreshments will also be available. Throughout the day visitors will be able to view on-going
demonstrations of bookbinding, typesetting, calligraphy and printmaking by professional artisans such
as Purgatory Pie Press (letterpress printing), Beatrice Coron (matrix-cutting), Society of Scribes
(calligraphy) and Mikhail Magaril (bookbinding).
Artists include Barbara Mauriello, Iris Nevins, Heather McKenzie, Carolyn Chadwick, Katherine
Radcliff, Malachi McCormick of the Stone Street Press; Irene O'Garden, Pamela White, Amee Pollack,
Yukari Hayashida, Ellen Kirouac, Roni Gross, the Gabriel Guild, Marilee O'Gorman, 3 Women Sparring,
Lois Bender, and Dodnina Designs.
A raffle featuring five items will be held at 6:00 pm. All raffle proceeds support the Center's
programs. Raffle prizes include:
* a special, limited-edition copy of Diary of a Madman by Nikolai Gogol; a handmade book
designed, printed & bound under the direction of Mikhail Magaril, the Center's 1996 featured
* a handmade postcard box by artist Barbara Mauriello;
* a Center for Book Arts' weekend workshop of the winner's choice;
* a set of handmade decorative papers by Grace Tankersley;
* movie tickets for two at either Brooklyn Heights Theater or Plaza Twin in Brooklyn.
The Center for Book Arts is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit arts organization dedicated to the preservation
of the traditional arts of bookmaking, as well as contemporary interpretations of the book as an art object.
The Center offers educational courses in all levels of bookmaking, letterpress printing, and papermaking,
as well as exhibitions of the arts of the book. For more information on the Center for Book Arts' Annual
Open House & Sale or any of its programs, please contact the Center at 212-460-9768, during the hours
of 10 am - 6 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10 am - 4 pm on Saturdays.
The Center for Book Arts' programs are made possible in part with
Consolidated Edison of New York, Milton & Salley Avery Arts
Foundation, Materials for the Arts, NYC Department of Cultural
Affairs/NYC Department of Sanitation, and the members of the Center
for Book Arts.
CONTACT: NINA SCHNEIDER 212-460-9768