Archive software??

This is slightly off-topic, but I haven't discovered anything applicable
thru other sources, so thought I'd pick the collective brains of Book-Arts
folks:

The archivist at work is interested in finding a database program
specifically for archival material.  We have a solid bank of documents, and
a room filled with photographs.  He needs a program for accessioning as well
as straight info storage/ retrieval.  Something like Dbase isn't streamlined
enough for him.  Any suggestions?  Any ideas would be appreciated.
t.i.a.,
Norah--
What if...the phone book rhymed?