[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Beware - ZIP Viruses
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
- Subject: Re: Beware - ZIP Viruses
- From: John Freund <johfreu@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU>
- Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:52:42 -0500
- Message-Id: <199612101353.FAA17633@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
The PKZIP.300 Trojan virus warning has been making the rounds since 1992 and
has achived Urban Legend status.
For an interesting site, and information on viruses in general and the mass
hysteria they seem to spawn, take a look at the following;
This contains a discussion on PKZIP300
>A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the Internet with the name
PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the
>impression that this file is a new version of the PKZIP software used to
"ZIP" (compress) files.
>DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
>If you install or expand this file, the virus will wipe your hard disk
clean and affect modems at 14.4 and higher. This is an
>extremely destructive virus and there is not yet a way of cleaning this one up.
>To be safe, do not download any file named PKZIP300 regardless of the
The PKZIP300 Trojan virus warning has been making the rounds since 1992 and
in some circles has reached Urban legend status.