printing question....

Thanks to everyone who suggested printmaking books - got Toale's book
and one by Ross, Romano & Ross for Christmas and have made my first
mistakes.  I'm trying to print with acrylic gesso on rice paper and if I
thin it with water it spreads and if I apply it unthinned the paper
sticks to the uh plate (carved out of foamboard and primed with auto
primer (well I had it around and it looked waterproof)  Tried printing
on the raw side and the sized side and it sticks.  Anyone know what
tiresome newbie mistake I'm making?    Regards, Rachel