Re: 15th century manuscripts

Try Reith Blake at Old Harry's Shed, located in Ketch Harbour, N.S. (Just
outside of Halifax).  She made replica paper for the nil star movie "A"
Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore and Gary Oldman.  I think I saw the movie
just to see the paper... Her phone number is: 902-868-2474  - She goes by
"Blake"  and is very knowledgable about papers and may even have some left
overs from the movie.

Good luck - Colette Johnson-Vosberg

>On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Dr. Brian A. Roberts wrote:
>
>> >I have been commissioned to reproduce some 15th century letters for TV use.
>> The script does not need to look authentic but the paper should. Has anyone
>> a good source where samples of this sort of thing might be available or have
>> tips ofr the severe aging of paper to re-create such letters which are 500
>> years old.
>>
>> Dr. Brian A. Roberts
>> Memorial University of Newfoundland
>
>Sorry Brian, but almost all of the paper that I have seen from this era
>is in almost perfect condition, and looks like it was made last week
>sometime.  A common confusion is that old=browned, due to the change of
>papermaking technology in the later part of last century that left a high
>residual acid content, which slowly 'burns' the paper.  Hence, most of
>the post 1860 paper has turned, to a greater or lesser degree, brown and
>brittle, especially along the edges.  Since this paper is just 100 years
>or so old, most people assume that means even older paper will be in much
>worse condition.  Pre-1850 paper doesn't have this high residual acid
>content, and is usually in pretty good shape, though
>it may have some spotting called 'foxing'.  Pre-1600 papers that are
>still around are usually in excellent condition, since they don't have
>that residual acid, _and_ the type and preperation of the fiber used for
>manufacture was superior to later papers.
>
>So, you have a choice: try and educate people by using good-quality,
>cream-colored paper....or meet the expectations of the viewing audience
>and use paper that has been discolored and damaged.  If you want to do
>that, and you don't care for the longevity of your work, then just dip
>the paper in strong tea and dry in your oven at about 300 degrees f.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Jim
>

>James T. Downey / Legacy Art & BookWorks, Inc.
>Now with over 100 images and new featured artists at:
>        http://www.legacyart.com
>jdowney@mail.coin.missouri.edu

Colette Johnson-Vosberg