[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Temporary closing of Rare Book Department
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
- Subject: Temporary closing of Rare Book Department
- From: Karen Lightner <LIGHTNERK@LIBRARY.PHILA.GOV>
- Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:09:17 -0500
- Message-Id: <199701031510.HAA17842@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
The Rare Book Department of The Free Library of Philadelphia will be closed for
renovations to the air handling system beginning Monday, January 6, 1997 until
As a result there will be no tours, group visits, readers or exhibitions. Most
of the collection will be under wraps, figuratively and literally, so access to
the materials will be extremely limited. Nevertheless, we will try to respond
to mail and telephone inquiries.
I realize this will be an inconvenience to those who would like to visit us,
but I trust you will agree that the proper environment is essential for the
long-term care of the materials entrusted to the library.
We are in the process of cataloging the Beatrix Potter, Kate Greenaway and
Arthur Rackham collections with funds from a grant from the National Endowment
for the Humanities. This work will continue on schedule, but at anohther
WE PLAN TO REOPEN BY THE BEGINNING OF JUNE, 1997.
The current exhibition, "Robert Lawson: Author and Illustrator", will be put in
storage and reinstalled once we reopen.
Our phone number is 215-686-5416.
for the Rare Book Department staff:
Cornelia King, Karen Lightner, Randy Rosensteel, Nancy Benford and Tina