Re: The Quality/Leather Thread (again)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

> "Cheaping out" also makes very poor business sense, and doesn't educate our
> consumers... It confuses them as to what QUALITY is. It is not the world's

This is one way of looking at it; certainly many of the professional
classical musicians I've worked with for eight+ years see the popularity
and financial success of, say, R.E.M. or the Smashing Pumpkins in the same
way, and are frustrated and saddened by it, often even angered by it --
they see rock and pop groups as amateurs who are too lazy or insolent to
learn to make "real" music, whereas the rest of us easily accept rock,
rap, etc. as completely different styles of music (rather than seeing them
at the low end of the same scale as classical).

So I ask the same question here that I have so often asked of my
musician friends:
Isn't "quality" ever defined by the (pardon my computer-speak) end-user?
Isn't the best-quality thing for _anyone_ that thing which best meets
his/her assembled needs (cost, function, everything), or that which best
feeds that person's soul? Can't we trust the individual to know his own
needs, establish her own criteria for evaluating things? Some will
*always* demand the highest standards, there's no doubt about that -- do
we have to look upon the rest as people in need of being "educated"?

Bonnie