attaching files

Hi.....thanks to all who have welcomed me to the list! I've had quite a few
catalog requests, and tried to e-mail them by attaching a file, but it
doesn't get through. I have it in Word For Windows and it says it's a
binary file. Tried to change it to "text"but it jumps back to binary, and I
get a message saying it can't be sent. Any ideas out there for a confused
beginner?????Thanks, Iris Nevins