Re: Leather quality thread...

>Any book I ever
>make, I make to last as long as I can make it last, and I consider that
>as part of my craft and a basic obligation I have to anyone who ever
>receives or uses a book I have made.

I certainly feel the pull of this view, although I do not think I
completely subscribe to it. For example, I am about to start a full
snakeskin binding. It obviously won't last as long as goat, or even
buckram. So am I failing in my obligations as a binder, or am I instead an
"artist"? If longevity is the summum bonum none of us would use calf, but
would all stick to goat.

The thing I find important is to use the best material available that is
appropriate for the job. If you do a paper binding, use the best paper; if
you use leather, use the best leather. What I hate is fake stuff. Cheapo
fake leather trying to pass itself off as the real thing.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor                      email: hales@bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy                 phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                    fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania 17815
USA