Re: Cleaning prints on Japanese Paper

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Pamela Moore wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am inquiring for a friend who is trying to find a satisfactory technique for
> removing
> oxidation stains from a turn of the century Japanese silk screened print.
>
> Upon attempting to locally remove the stains with water and heat the japanese
> paper turned transparent while the stains remained unchanged.  It appears that
> the blue and green inks
> are not water soluable but that the red ink is, thus prohibiting total
> submersion.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Pamela

A turn of the century Japanese silk screen?  I've never heard of such a
thing!  Do you mean pochoir or stenciled print? Stencil prints are
ancient but silk screened prints are early 20th century and art prints
as we know then are American from the 1920's or so.  I'm just curious if
I've missed something interesting.  Thanks for the post.

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG