Re: sources for/experiences with scroll paper

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, robert drake wrote:

> >Now that you have tantalized us, please give the whole list the process,
> >you never know when we might be able to use it ourselves.
> >
> >Cheryl Slyter
> >Franklin, MI
>
> well, the scroll idea is still in th brainstorming phase--it'd probably to
> be a combination of collage & solvent-transfer prints, & praps some
> rubberstamp or relief prints that i could do w/out a press...  & thanks
> once again to all for the input, it's been invaluable
>
> but th original idea i'd proposed to th poet was, a collaboration in
> which he supplied the text and i wd add a visual "scoring" via
> computer-manipulated typography...  which would then be printed
> direct to stencils on a dot-matrix printer, and mimeographed.  the
> poet's work has strong affinities to the beat movement and the
> 1960's underground which used the mimeograph extensively; it's also
> in some senses "messy", as is th mimeograph...  also expansive, and
> so i liked th economy.  and, i rather like the effect/idea of combining
> '90s computer technology w/ its older, diy counterpart.     when the
> poem arrived, tho (10 page epic w/ wonderful visual alliteration),
> the scroll idea seemed really appropriate...
>
> so that's where the "process" is at, right now--very much still in
> process.  i'll keep y'all posted.  and, at the risk of being vague,
> i'd welcome hearing anybody else's narratives about their process
> in the early stages of conceptualizing a book project--how the conflux
> of available techniques and raw materials at hand (including "content")
> conjoin and are wrestle/coaxed into unity...
>
> yrs
> luigi-bob drake

Hey Bob,  Now that's some background info!  Good job.  No one will hold
you to the details but it gives us all a jumping off point.

Just to know that you're not going to print it on a letterpress
or Offset is helpful to know.

Regards,

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG