Adhering paper to cloth for scrolls

Michael Morin raised an interesting idea in terms of cloth-backed
scrolls.  For some time I have been wanting to find out how to merge
cloth and paper (e.g., as done in oriental scrolls).  References or other
information would be appreciated.

While I'm an amateur, I think that the idea of having responses to
queries be at a high level is fine.  One can always seek more information
without having to sort through the basics.  (Alternatively, I may have to
eat my words if the discussion is too complex).

R*