Re: Perforator

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Peter Verheyen wrote:

> You could also have a custom made cutting die made. I don't know what the
> prices are, but once you have them, you can use them over and over. To get
> accurate cutting, make a jig to use with your press.

Peter's idea is a good one.  If you wish to save on the cost of the
perforated rule I would space the rule in one direction only, run the
stock and then turn the paper registration or the die 90 degrees.  An
accurately made die with equal borders would be easy to lock up. This
would produced some type of dashed perferation.  A true pin-punch
perforator would be more complex to make but could be made for a
letterpress.

The layout could be established by your favorite full page of stamps.
Glue to surface of 1/2 inch thick T6 aluminum plate (cast pattern plate is
best, nonwarping and ground surfaces-paper wrapped like sheet plastics)

Drill the holes with drill press.  Take two week vacation (I made two
large screen printing vacum tables this way so I know you'll need a rest!)

Use 1/16 inch holes if not to big.  Use spring steel pins ( Small Parts
Inc, 13980 N.W. 58th Court, P.O. Box 4650, Miami Lakes FL  33014-0650,
(305)557-8222. or McMaster-Carr in Chicago.  Pins are listed with roll
pins, spring pins, cotter pins and could also be available in a good
machine shop supply in your area. The pins come 3/16, 3/8, 3/4, 1000 for
approx. $20.00.  They will insure a uniform size (height of you die)

For best reults I would also make an exactly spaced female counter die
with slightly bigger holes.  Proper spacing and acurate registration is
very important.  Slightly bigger holes will allow for minute variations
in pin placement.

I would provide set screws that are proud of the surface of the bottom of
the female die.  This would allow for the die to be adjusted to provide
an air space under the die so that the tiny paper dots will pass through
the holes of the female die and drop out between the bottom of the die
and the press bed.  A vacum system could be used as well

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG