Basic Paper Treatments for Printed Book Materials

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've added an article I wrote several
years ago for the Guild of Book Workers Journal, Basic Paper Treatments for
Printed Book Materials, to the "Tutorials" section in Book Arts Links.

>From the "Introduction:"

"In October of 1989, at the Guild of Book Workers' Standards of Excellence
Seminar, Betsy Palmer Eldridge gave a presentation on 'Basic Paper
Treatments for Printed Book Materials." This 2 hour presentation was a very
ambitious undertaking, but she did a magnificent job.

Since these presentations and the synopses that later appeared in the GBW
Newsletter, there has been some discussion. The presentations and these
articles are not to be construed as a "how to" of basic paper conservation
but rather as an
introduction for those with interest but little experience. For the more
experienced, they present the methods of the individual conservator for
dealing with common problems. None of these methods is the only way to carry
out a specific treatment. Each project has its own challenges and no two are
alike. It is therefore important to continue to build our knowledge through
both reading and the lessons of experience.

To facilitate our understanding and to allow us to concentrate on the
demonstrations as they were performed, Betsy Palmer Eldridge provided us
with a very detailed and useful outline. Her presentation was divided into
12 sections that introduced the major problems and treatments that book
conservators might be faced with when working with paper."

I will be adding others shortly. Among them two by Don Etherington on
Japanese paper repairs to cloth and leather bindings.

Peter

                  >>> I love working in the library. <<<

Conservation Librarian                                  <fax> 315.443.9510
Syracuse University Library                <email> pdverhey@dreamscape.com
Syracuse University               <www> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
Syracuse, NY 13244                  <listmgr> Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu