Re: Title-page Wording

>     John Doe
>     TITLE OF POEM
>
>     Photographs
>     by
>     Jane Roe
>
>seems inadequate to her to convey the extent to which she has, as
>it were, entered the picture; but she can't think of anything
>better for the title-page wording. Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't see anything wrong with the above, and I do believe in a certain
amount of modesty. And one solution is to make everything, title and author
and photograph attribution, be the same type size, thereby in a way
equalizing all input. Another way is to make the title of the poem be the
title of the book so that it reads more like

TITLE

words by xxxxxxxxx
photographs by xxxxxxx

and I am sure there are other solutions, too.

>Problem 2: she took short excerpts from a 19th-century bird book
>and wrote them out in a calligraphic hand to create a
>one-of-a-kind book, illustrated with her own original drawings;
>she then made a special binding for the result. Again, what might
>the title-page read?

In this case I would guess that the 19th century book is "in the public
domain," and that this artistic use, in any sense, would not be mistaken for
the original. In this case she should simply give the book whatever title
she wants, and give herself credit.

HER TITLE

by xxxxxxxxx

and if she likes, also on the title page, but perhaps in an acknowledgment
page, say that the text is taken from xxx book, etc.

Seems to me she has made an artist's book for which she deserves credit. On
the other hand, I've seen lots of one-of-a-kind artists' books which don't
have title and author credited in any conventional book sense, rather,
somewhere in the work the artist signs the book, like an artist would sign a
painting or print. I'd think your friend could just handle it this way, too.

charles alexander
chax press