Re: superfine

I have been using Hammermill Opaque 70 lb. text for the past couple of
years with good results.

But here is a question/suggestion for Iris and those much more
experienced than I: The problem is that the calcium carbonate added to
buffer the sheet makes it too alkaline for the mordant action of the
alum to fix the colors. If this excess calcium carbonate were
neutralized and the pH of the sheet brought back down to 7 or slightly
less, would this render the sheet usable? Could this be done by either
using a much stronger alum (aluminum sulphate) solution than usual OR by
adding an extra acid to the alum bath (perhaps distilled white
vinegar?)in an amount that would neutralize the extra calcium carbonate?

Jack Fitterer