Re: superfine, marbling etc.

To Jack Fitterer....

I have had some OK success with Hammermill, but sometimes, especially when
it's hot out it doesn't work well for me. I think a lot of it is
environmental. I don't believe it has anything to do with whose marbling
colors you are using either as suggested, because I have tried them all
including my own, Colophon's, even gouache and tube watercolors with the
same results.

I just like to stick with what I know works with the least problems. I
haven't tried washing off any buffering, because I do have papers that
work, though this would be an interesting experiment. However, I personally
wouldn't want to add yet another step before being able to marble.

As far as more alum......I find it doesn't matter to add more. The
recommended amount is 1 Tbs. to 1 cup of water, though I use 2 cups of
water generally, never more, but sometimes less. In cold weather I have
gotten away with 10 cups of water to 1 Tbs. of alum! Though admittedly,
this was only on my stand-by Classic papers. I have Hammermill in colored
paper, and the results are iffy, no matter whose colors I am using.....one
day OK....next time not. Could have more to do with the atmosheric
conditions in the room. I have even marbled alum-free if I pull the paper
over the side of the tank to remove excess size. But this also is iffy.

Sometimes I get overwhemed, but always fascinated with the chemical aspects
of marbling. Recently I have, after a long time come up with a "fake
Indigo"......disturbed by the problems with Indigo......a lot of rubbing,
and a tendency to go granular or "blob", I didn't like to use it, but
always loved the velvet blue-black color. This color, which I will simply
call Navy Blue, I have finally improved to the point where it looks like
indigo, acts like it, but after a prolonged trial, does not go off or rub
like it. Only drawbacks.....It is hard to shake up a full bottle, due to
pigment settling (which is a minor problem most marblers are used to), and
it does tend to smell like rotten eggs  after a while......but still works
fine.

Marbling is a long uphill battle against constant problems such as paper
sizings being changed unannounced.

Hope to see you again soon.................Best, Iris