Re: Using improvised materials

> Date sent:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:36:24 -0500
> Send reply to:  "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting"
>                 <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> From:           "Sumner Zacks M.D." <szacks@MBL.EDU>
> Subject:        Re: Using improvised materials
> To:             BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

> >>... I am interested in using blood as a
> >Robyn Sassen writes:
> >
> >>...I am interested in using blood as a medium in a book which I am
> >>making.... >the areas I would like to investigate are :
> >
> >>1  Colour - the way it will change when wet, when dry.
> >>2  Olfactory quality
> >>3  Speed of drying and the use of anti-coagulant
> >>4  Coagulating quality - how it will dry on paper, on gelutong wood..
> >
> >Color - well, only you will see the change. And, in the work I've done
> >using blood it comes out looking like dried blood - pretty much. It may
> >flake off the surface you put it on. When I put blood on linen, it dried,
> >rusted and dusted off when touched. So, you might want to add gum arabic to
> >the blood for adhesion. If you want to play with color, and maybe not use
> >gum, try some of the traditional dyeing mordants - alum, for instance.
> >Remember that since it's got lots of iron, it will rust and, depending on
> >your substrate - it may "burn" through.

    about a year ago i produced a series of etchings  on which i use
blood as an ink. i got pretty good results the process was as follows:
        1. wipe the plate in the normal fashion
        2. paint or drip the blood directly on the plate.(i used
            alot)
        3. then i placed the plate on the stove which instantly dried
            the blood into a dark redish brown scab type thing.
        4. then printed the whole mess on dampened paper.
    i ran in to a couple of problems with the blood soaking(and
bleeding(no pun)) into areas of the undersired areas of the print
when i didn't heat it on the stove. end resulting color was not the
same as blood, but a great redish brown. when people saw the color
and the texture, they either understood, or were intrigued enough to
ask. most importantly though, after a year the blood, scab mess is
still strongly adhered to the print.