Nasty Purple Stamp

Hello, friends--

I recently acquired an ex-lib rebinding copy of a scarce and important book
of early Texas memoirs (Smithwick, Noah. THE EVOLUTION OF A STATE
RECOLLECTIONS OF OLD TEXAS DAYS, Austin, TX, [Gammel Book Co.], 1900).  My
plan is to do an appropriate handbinding after whatever cleaning and
restoration I can do with the text block.

MAIN PROBLEM: There is a purple library stamp (2 lines) on both sides of the
t.p. and on the verso of the last printed leaf. The ink does not bleed
through. The paper appears to be lightly coated.  The ph pen indicates a low
ph, naturally.  I haven't done anything to anything at this point.
Suggestions solicited and welcomed.

SECONDARY PROBLEM: There is some bibliographical confusion about this book,
particularly with respect to the number of plates it should include. The
descriptions in various bibliographies call for from 5 to 8. This copy has
6; another copy I hold has all 8.  The cloth on this copy is a different
color from others I've seen or of which I have descriptions. For these
reasons I will not rebind at least until I can clear this up. I would like
to remove the painted black library label from the spine. I've been able to
do this with some success on leather, but I've never tried it on cloth. Help?

Thanks, new friends. Hope I can reciprocate.

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)

I would not give a whit for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I
would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.  --O.
W. Holmes