dampening paper

Perhaps this question has already been discussed, but, as a new member to
the group I would like to ask it again.

When printing on a handpress, I have traditionally dampened the paper the
day before it is to be used.  Typically, I use handmade that is surface
sized with gelatin.  Dampening has never been a problem until I used paper
that was internally sized (probably Hercon 40).  No matter what method of
dampening is used, the paper refuses to accept water. The paper must be
sized as it is to be written on as well. Has anyone experienced this and if
so, what is the solution?  Someone recommended adding alcohol to the water
used for dampening which would act as a surfactant and allow more water to
penetrate the fibers.  Even this did not help the situation. Also, has
anyone ever experimented with the rate of mold growth on surface sized
paper as apposed to that which has been internally sized? Any comments
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dard

Dard Hunter III               Email- dardo@eurekanet.com
P.O. Box 771                  Telephone & fax- (614)774-1236
Chillicothe, OH 45601

MOUNTAIN HOUSE PRESS BOOKS, HANDMADE PAPER, PRINTS- ESTABLISHED 1922