Frederic W. Goudy Lecture

FREDERIC W. GOUDY LECTURE:
Join us for the 1997 Goudy Lecture given by Daniel Tucker & Claire
Owen:  "An Accord of Grace: A View of the Ideal Book from Turtle
Island Press".
Claire Owen and Daniel Tucker have over twenty years of involvement
in bookmaking as proprietors of Turtle Island Press in Philadelphia
and Telluride, Colorado.  Using slides of both their own works and
their favorite books by others, Mr. Tucker and Ms. Owen will be
presenting their vision of the ideal book at the beginning of the
21st century.
Turtle Island Press was founded in 1975 in Rochester, New York.  For
over twenty years, their goal has been to create limited edition and
unique artist's books which maintain many of the traditional values
of fine press books combined with original content.  Their books
emphasize the visual, the tactile and the narrative.  They usually
tell a story, with or without words, and one can sense an uncommon
harmony between the content and form of a Turtle Island Book.  "For
us," says Tucker, "no other medium is so richly associated with
discovery, relationship, learning, love, and the quest to know the
mysteries of the world we live in, and of who we are, as the book."
Daniel Tucker attended the Rochester Institute of Technology in New
York where he earned a Master of Science Degree in Printing
Technology.  Claire Owen earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with
a major in illustration at R.I.T. as well.  It was on the first day
of graduate school at R.I.T. that he met Claire, a graduate student
in printmaking there, and their partnership, which is now in its 23rd
year, was begun.  Their books are inlcuded in collections at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Victoria & Albert Museum, The New York
Public Library, and Harvard University.  The Goudy Lecture is free
and open to the public.
GOUDY LECTURE:  MARCH 2, 1997 AT 2:30 P.M. IN WILBUR HALL AT SCRIPPS
COLLEGE, CLAREMONT, CALIFORNIA.  FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL
KITTY MARYATT AT (909) 607-3866.