Re: Protecting wool

>It may be useless to make a drop spine box with a cedar lining to protect
>the wool covered book.  A textile conservator told me that cedar (as in
>cedar chests) is only effective for about a year.  The cedar itself looses
>its bug killing/averting properties.  Cedar chests have a good reputation
>because they are sealed so well that they keep pests out.

Good point, Cathy. Thanks. If I make a box it will be as tight as I can make
it. The early scrolls in the east were kept in cedar boxes and survived for
centuries.  In some of my woodworking materials I remember reading that at
least the aromatic qualities of cedar closets can be restored by a light
sanding periodically.  I wonder whether the aroma is the operative
characteristic. I suppose the box should be archivally lined in any case.

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)