Re: UK travel

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Tim Sheppard wrote:
> >The town of Hay-on-Wye is a MUST!  It is completely bookstores.  It is
> >on the border between England and Wales, half way up.  Enjoy.
> There's quite a story to this. The town was practically abandoned some
> time ago - the sixties? - but the King of Hay-on-Wye bought up loads
> of shops and let them out to bookdealers. After a while there were so
> many people coming to the town for the convenience of so many
> bookshops to look round, that the whole town regenerated and is now
> thriving. It's the European capital of secondhand books.
I've been to Hay twice, and my favorites are the stores in the converted
movie theater and the one in the stable of the castle. There is a
wonderful store, too, which specializes in gardening books. A lovely
place to spend a day or couple, not to mention emptying your wallet.
Steve

Steve Chant
Manager
University Graphics & Printing