edge marbling

I am currently using a Karayah gum base for my marbling.I mix my own
colors using printing ink powders.The gum is cooked in a copper
jacketed kettle for 7 hours with a few other ingredients.This is a
long process,yet the gum has about a 45 day shelf life w/o
refrigeration. I wish to continue making my colors,but I would love to
find an easier gum base.Where do I look?
                           Butch Wingo