Re: "Nature" Printing, 1856

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, John Freund wrote:

> Re: Nature Prints...
> There is a brief description in "How To Identify Prints" by Bamber Gascoigne.
> Patented in Austria in 1852, it made  possible the almost perfect
> reproduction of natural objects like leaves, lace, snakeskin, bat wings....
> The object was placed between two plates, one of lead, one of steel, and was
> subjected to great pressure so a impression was left in the lead. The lead
> plate was then double electrotyped turning it into a facsimile in copper
> which was then inked and printed. Most often printed intaglio, it could also
> be printed relief.

I'm wondering if the impression wasn't in graphite impreganted wax and
not lead.  The wax then could be electrotyped.  The dates may be too
early for that. What do you say Luis Nadeau?

There was an article a few years ago about a printmaker who was using
copper etching plates placed on the ground covering an arrangement of
various natural materials.  The plates where covered with plastic explosive
and a steel containment mat.  Them WHAM-O!!

The velocity of the impact would force such things as leaves and feathers
into the surface of the copper that could be intaglio wiped and printed!

Since my shop is in the basement and attic I don't think i'll try it!

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG