How does one learn bookbinding?

I would like to take up bookbinding as an avocation and possibly as a
profession. I am interested in learning ordinary binding techniques (hollow
back cloth or buckram) in addition to fine leather binding and restoration
work. I have heard of the binders who travel to England and work as
apprentices for years. Is this the only way  to become a professional? I am
currently building up a library of books on bookbinding. Any advice from the
bookbinders out there would be greatly appreciated!

Bonefolder