[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
How does one learn bookbinding?
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: How does one learn bookbinding?
- From: Bonefolder@AOL.COM
- Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:49:23 -0500
- Message-Id: <199703062000.MAA31296@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
I would like to take up bookbinding as an avocation and possibly as a
profession. I am interested in learning ordinary binding techniques (hollow
back cloth or buckram) in addition to fine leather binding and restoration
work. I have heard of the binders who travel to England and work as
apprentices for years. Is this the only way to become a professional? I am
currently building up a library of books on bookbinding. Any advice from the
bookbinders out there would be greatly appreciated!