Re: If it's good, it's art ...

I find the discussion of "art" vs "craft" similar to that of "professional"
vs "amateur".  I have "done" puppets, calligraphy and hand bookbinding for
a long time, but =I= never thought of myself as a "professional" in any of
these fields since I did not derive my principal income from them, nor did
I remain "true" in my efforts to just one.  True, I have been "paid" for
these skills (arts ??), but in my own judgement, I was never a "professional".
Sadly, the terms "artist" and "professional" are often, even usually,
decided by financial gain - at least in the present day world and in the
minds of many.  Maybe I'm just a snob, but personally, I find that some of
the "art" and "craft" that I see, regardless of the price to be inferrior.

At 03:40 PM 3/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> "If it's good it's Art. If it's not, who cares?"
>
>But, what is 'good' then? The implication seems to be that art is that
which is
>artistically rendered. Nice, but I seem to recall something about a
definition
>not being allowed to have the same concept in the definiens and the
>definiendum. (Personally, I have always found this philosophic nicety to be
>rather an obnoxious rule--no doubt established by the crafty to snare the
>artistic!)
>
>Michael
>

>--
>Michael Joseph
>Rare Book and Jerseyana Catalog Librarian
>Rutgers University Libraries
>Rutgers University
>New Brunswick, New Jersey
>
>        voice: 908-445-5904