Re: identifying toolmakers from marks

At 19:52 19/03/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The original question
>
>  I got a wonderful lying press at a street market this weekend.  Has 18"
>between the screws,31" overall.  Very solid (and heavy!) hardwood, well
>aged.  Looks late 19th or early 20th century.  Has a guide for a plow.  I'm
>very pleased.  It is stamped with the name Harrild & Sons, are you familiar
>with this firm?  Binders, toolmakers?

Yes Harrild & Sons are still around and I believe flourishing, albeit under
a slightly different name.  They are situated in the East End of London
(England).  Their details are as follows:

W.L. Harrild & Partners Ltd.
Unit 3, Alpine Business Centre
Eastbury Road
London
E6 4LP

Contacts: Irene and Richard Coe
Tel: +44 171 473 5345
Fax: +44 171 473 6673

They are no longer bookbinders and I don't believe that they manufacture
Wooden Equipment.  However, they still deal in Nipping and Standing presses
and are the U.K. agent for Schimanek Board Cutters.

If you were to contact them, I am sure that they would answer any queries.

regards,

David

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.