Re: moire endsheets

Steve wrote:
>Thanks to all who have responded about moire endsheets. Some of you have
>suggested making them myself. I don't have a drymount press, so that
>method's out. How else might it be done? I'm afraid if I slather PVA on
>Japanese paper and then try to put silk fabric on top it will 1. bleed
>through, 2. I'll wind up getting glue all over the silk out of klutziness,
>or 3. other bad things will happen. All help appreciated.

First of all, I wouldn't use PVA, I would use wheat starch paste.  Use
Japanese paper, preferably kozo, but I have also used inexpensive mulberry
papers (often refered to as rice paper).  The pasted cloth and paper should
be adhered to a flat, smooth waterproof surface - a smooth piece of plywood,
or an arborite or formica table is perfect.  Paste should be on the thick
side, so it will not seep through the fabric - about the consistency of
mayonnaise is good.

Measure your piece of fabric (leaving it a bit large) and cut a piece of
Japanese paper about 2 inches larger than the fabric all around.  Place the
fabric face down on the table and spray with plain water.  Smooth out the
wrinkles and stretch slightly, keeping the grain straight.

At your pasting station, apply paste to the backing paper - a thin smooth
layer spread evenly over the whole surface.  Carefully lift the paper and
place it gently, paste down on the fabric. Starting from the centre, with a
dry, clean, soft brush remove any air bubles that you see.  Tamp the backing
paper using a rolled up towel to fix the backing paper firmly to the fabric.

Brush thick paste along the edges of the backing paper that overhang the
fabric.  Then carefully flip the whole sandwich over and brush the edged
down smoothly.  This will seal the paper to the table and prevent curling of
the paper and cloth as the past dries.  It should dry perfectly flat.  When
it is dry you can use a slitting knife to release the paper border from the
table.

I have done this with raw silk and some other fabrics, and in fact I will be
making book cloth this way using some cloth I purchased in Africa.

Good luck.

Kathy in Saskatchewan, Canada