Re: lining fabrics

At 12:06 PM 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Sam,
>    Thanks so much for your info. re: the heat set tissue from Light
>Impressions. I will order.  One last, probably silly question. If one is
>trying to work with all archival materials, then the fabric must be archival
>too and I have not had any experience with fabrics and their archival
>properties. Are there any general rules here.  Also, is buckram archival?
>   Thanks so very much, Debbie

Debbie,

        Specifially, the mount I am using is at the Seal Archival Mount at the
bottom of page 72 of the catalogue I'm looking at. I bought a 16" roll.
There is no apparent grain and small pieces can be combined so there is
virtually no waste.

        As to the fabric, I must confess that I haunt the fabric shops for fabrics
to use with my Asian bindings and I'm not equipped to test them for acidity
(sorry to say). I stick with cotton, linen, and silk and the ones in which
the colors are light enough to test with a pH pen seem OK.  I also bind
into the cover a piece of tyvek or some barrier paper to separate the cover
from the text block and from liquid spills. I would like to be around in a
couple of centuries to see if I goofed!

        Best wishes,

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)

The highest pleasure is to do a good deed in secret and have it discovered
by accident.
                                 ---Charles Lamb