Re: Re[2]: crafting art, arting craft

>I make dolls and an occasional book.  I don't consider myself an artist but
>have learned lots of crossover skills from different experiences. This
>affects my opinion of other people's work.  I buy books and one-of-a-kind
>dolls if I'm struck by the creativity AND workmanship (and I can justify the
>cost).  Some work I see which is considered art seems sloppy and unskilled.
> It doesn't appeal to me.

Sir Herbert Read  in his "Philosophy of Modern Art" makes the distinction
of  art and craft by it's use and intentions.  He gives an example of a
beautifully designed and wonderfully constructed chair and a painting.
The chair essentially speaks of chair and is not usually  intended to have
psychological content.  It is certainly possible to place the chair in such
a context as to give it psychological content but it is in the larger sense
made for use. It is useful to have words connote distinctions.   Art is not
a technical problem but a conceptual one.  Happy Saturday, Charlie

Charles D. Jones
Artist/Printmaker/Teacher/Musician
Box 13001 SFA Station
Stephen F. Austin State University