Re: Future of Craft

>Well, I think the future of craft is in danger, because of the overwhelming
>prevelance of objects made by machines, and I see far too many craft objects
>trying to immitate machine made ones and not exploiting the diversity that
>hand crafting affords.
>
>jeff peachey

And in bookbinding that's been true since the 18th century. One of the reasons earlier books are in such good condition is that the leather was used with much less paring. In the Machine Age people expected slick edges and corners. It's no wonder that the edges of such books are often worn off from shelving, and that the endcaps and endbands are missing.
            Richard
            http://minsky.com