Re: Tom Stoppard on crafting art

Charles Alexander wrote (in part):

> Lisa: I'll try to respond to your two posts personally rather than spouting
> the appropriate art criticism -- and there is much of it to support Rothko &
> Pollock & many others.
>
> But for me, Rothko & Pollock in particular are two artists whose paintings,
> at different viewings in different museums, have made me stop speechless and
> nearly breathless, somewhat in awe of their power. It's a visceral power, ...

Thank you, Charles, for replying with such kindness and thoughtfulness.
Reading your words took me back to the breathless awe of seeing Rothko's
last painting as the coda to a retrospective showing in Los Angeles
years and years ago. I too had harbored a lack of comprehension of
seemingly mono-chromatic canvases and was curious to see it through the
perspective of time and the artist's evolutionary growth. The exhibit
was informative and enlightening and I saw that Rothko labored long and
hard at all types of expressions. But I was completely unprepared for
that last room holding but one painting. The depths within that infinite
and vast canvas held me captive and silent for so very long. I see it
again in my minds eye, yet it is the visceral  power you describe that I
am re-experiencing most forcefully. It has no words, no single
definition, and it cannot be dismissed. This is the power of art at a
very high level.

In varying degrees, it can be experienced with any creation springing
from the heart and soul, should our own being be so open to it. What
could possibly make beautifully wrought type on creamy paper so
satisfying? A vestige of the type maker's art still lives and breathes
in those serifs...

Ana Maria Gallo
anitamari@earthlink.net