Re: what is modern art...?

Those large, monochromatic canvases affect me like the outcome of a basic
design art class project.  But because of their size, juxtapostion and space
where they're displayed, they have an enormous impact on me.  It's a very
non-intellectual reaction.    Maybe the impact or effect on the viewer is
what defines art.  Sometimes I respond more intellectually to art, such as
some political cartoons, books, etc. I've seen.   Basically, I consider art a
form of communication.  It's interesting to note that people have different
favorites in a gallery exhibit, dance performance, architectural structure,
etc., but sometimes there's an overwhelming favorite that affects lots of
people.  I just think it's important to form your own opinion or reaction and
not be "conned"  into defining art.