Re: best archival adhesive

Dear Deb:  If you call Binder's Art Supply (1-800-877-3242)  you can order
whqt they call their Museum Mounting Kit which is a "professional archival
kit containing...unmodified rice starch adhesive, heavy weight mulberry
paper -
enough to make 150 hinges, and a roll of self adhesive linen tape.

A reversible recipe ( meaning you can undo the seal with water later if
needed):

4 Tablespoons wheat starch beaten  into 1/2 cup cold w ater  ( use a whisk)
Then stir in 2 cups of boiling water  and it should thicken up.
You can add a few drops of thymol in alcohol if you think  you need some
preservative.  You will find in time just what exact proportions of starch
to water  you like best.  And I must add that Metalyn ( not sure of the
spelling )
wallpaper paste was recommended to me as being high quality starch, reversible,
and contains an antimold/fungi agent.

Please note that you can use rice starch, arrowroot starch, wheat starch..
and you can fool around with the ratio to water.

Good Luck

Lilias at Saltwinds Yankee Barn Workshop