Re: Starch & Flour Pastes

You've brought up a lot of issues, but I'd like to address only one.  If you
use wheat flour to cook paste, there will be gluten in the paste.  Bread
flour has even more gluten.  This type of paste may be stronger (people
argue a lot about perceived strength and perceived tack) but I think the
gluten is a component that does not age well--I think you can expect
yellowing and less flexibility.  But if you use precipitated wheat starch,
you can expect only starch--the precipitation means the gluten is removed.
The wheat starch paste can be quite strong for hinges, backing, mending, etc.

Cathy Atwood
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State