Re: Art, skill, communication, failure

At 10:26 AM 3/28/97, Derek Lyons wrote:
>At 11:20 AM 3/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>if a designed piece
>>doesn't communicate to the audience, it has failed. i think in *some* art,
>>communication appears to be a main objective, but certainly not in all art.
>>a work of art does not fail for not communicating. the purpose of art... i
>>think there are many purposes. to teach, to please, to disturb;
>
>But to teach, please or, disturb...  It (the artwork) must *communicate*
>it's intent.

yes. i suppose i see the two sorts of communication differently. design
must communicate clearly. in modern art, i think it is necessary for the
viewer to be an active participant in the learning/reading of the piece. in
design... take an annual report for example. in designing this, the
objective is to facilitate communicating this information to the viewer. in
a dekooning painting, this was not the objective. the information being
conveyed is a concept, and it isn't necessary to convey this clearly. the
viewer must think, participate, in order to understand the piece. each
viewer might go away with a different experience. with an annual report,
each viewer will leave with the same information. i suppose with both, the
experience will be dictated by what the viewer brings to the piece - a
business man would get something quite different than i, a typographer,
would from looking at an annual report. and i'm really babbling on here.
but for me, the difference in viewing a 'modern' work of art and a
classical still life lies in what each demands of the viewer. a still life
demands nothing - one looks at it, it is pleasing perhaps, and that is all.
a more modern (using this term pretty generally here) work will leave me in
thought. some works, like those of jenny holzer, leave me with pretty clear
thoughts and emotions, while others, like a pollock, leave me with more
vague thoughts that i must sift through and ponder.

e.

"I don't think 'This is my party' is applicable anymore. The party's kind
of over. Now it's more like, 'This is my life,' 'This is my tribe.'"
                                                                - Nan Goldin

"Than so few now dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of the time."
                                              - John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)